Check Your Occupation Type – Private
They are similar in many ways to assured and assured shorthold tenancies:
- They will normally be granted for a fixed term and
- will normally continue as a periodic tenancy if you remain in occupation after the fixed term has ended and pay rent which is accepted by the landlord
- The tenant fees rules will not apply
- Deposits do not need to be protected in a scheme, and
- The eviction procedure is different (section 8 and section 21 notices will not apply)
Note that the ‘high rent’ figure of £100,000 was imposed in 2010 and now applies to all tenancies. Before that, the figure was £25,000.