Showing answers for Private Occupation. Switch to Social

Are you a tenant or renter?
Do you have questions about the law?
Put your question in the box and click enter:

Or scroll down to read how it works.  Note that this site only covers the law in England & Wales UK.

Search Articles

Showing answer for Private Occupation. Switch to Social

How it works

This service is for renters / tenants and lodgers renting their home in England or Wales UK – if you are a landlord click here.

The renter’s guide is really easy to use – there are three steps:


Ask your question in the big question box – or just put in a relevant word or phrase – eg ‘deposit’ or ‘tenancy agreement’ – and then select one of the suggested answers. Note that our answer may not show if your question wording is different – so one-word questions may bring up more answers


Click to see the answer. This will be short and snappy – without jargon or lawyers waffle.


Scroll down the answer page to see how you can find out more. Some items will be free, some you will have to pay for (but they are not expensive!).

If your question is not shown – click here.

Or, if your situation is more complex – why not book a telephone advice call with a specialist housing solicitor? The cost is £115 for a ½ hour call.

Can’t afford this? Check out our list of further advice services here

If you are confused by the system, we have a more detailed support page here.

There are two parts to this website - one for private renters and one for social renters.

The law is different depending on whether your landlord is a private sector or social sector landlord.  In most cases your landlord will be private unless they are a Local Authority/Council or Housing Association.

If you are not sure please follow our simple occupation guide (or ‘trail’).

If you like our Renters Guide
Why not join as a member?
It’s FREE!

As a member you will get:

You will also get a £5 discount voucher you can offset against any of our paid content.